Infractions of Wage and Hour Laws

When it comes to the payment of wages, employers have legal obligations to comply with a variety of federal and state statutes. If your employer does not comply with these rules, you may seek the assistance of a wage theft attorney in Las Vegas to pursue legal action, which may include filing a lawsuit against your employer if one is required, in order to recoup the wages that your company wrongfully withheld from you. 

How do I file a claim for violation of the wage and hour law?

Contacting an attorney is generally the best course of action to take if your claim includes a larger amount of money. This will allow you to maximize the amount you can recover. If the amount is less than what you expect, you may consider submitting a claim with the Nevada Labor Commissioner for a violation of the wage and hour laws. You should submit a wage claim if you believe that your employer owes you wages.

You must make a "good faith attempt" to recover pay from your employer before you can file a wage claim. In addition, those who work as independent contractors are prohibited from submitting wage claims. Do not hesitate to submit a complaint with the Labor Commission if you believe that your employer has violated another wage and hour rule despite the fact that they do not owe you any back wages.

You also have the option to register a complaint with the Department of Labor in the United States.

Can your employer cut your pay without notice?

Any or all of your compensation (wages, salary, tips, etc.) is subject to reduction at your employer's discretion. You are entitled to get at least seven days' written notice before your employer can legally lower your wages.

However, if a collective bargaining agreement, contract, piece of legislation, or regulation governs your compensation, your employer must follow the terms of the agreement or law in regard to compensation and notice. If this is the case, then you need to remember this.

Employers who fit these criteria may legally reduce your compensation for future work you will perform for them but may not legally reduce your pay for work you have already performed for them. They cannot demand that you give up any of the money they've already paid you in the form of wages, salaries, or other compensation. There are very few situations in which withholding money from an employee's salary before they are paid is acceptable.

More to Read: